Do you have a love of taxes? AP Professionals has partnered with a premier Rochester employer for a Financial Reporting Tax Analyst position due to retirement. This large organization is mission driven, yet business focused. In this role you will be exposed to a variety of tax situations including sales tax, state income tax, fundraising and investments. The ideal candidate will be a relationship builder and has the ability to learn. There is infinite growth potential, and the company offers a phenomenal retirement plan along with a hybrid work approach.
- Prepare and file the IRS Forms 990 (including all required versions and schedules) including coordination of necessary information with staff.
- Identify and quantify potential areas of tax by reviewing the financial records and nature of operations of various entities. Determine potential sources of unrelated business income and quantification of appropriate allocable expenses and develop position papers with respect to identified activities. Assess private use implications for activities identified as unrelated business income.
- Perform tax-related research as considered necessary to perform the afore-mentioned duties. Collaborate in development of and revisions to policies to enhance compliance with federal and state tax laws and regulations.
- Provide oversight for sales and use taxes. Complete all sales tax remittances and forms (e.g. ST-809 and ST-810). Provide guidance regarding the applicability of NYS sales tax on the sale of goods or services.
- Act as liaison with other departments to prepare forms/filings including for the Affordable Care Act Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Fee Annual Forms (PCORI), foreign revenue reporting (VAT activities), foreign exemptions, and IRS Form 6166.
- Assist in monitoring the Form 990-T and related schedules, state unrelated business income tax exposures, and state income tax returns.
- Assist in preparing and filing the IRS Form 990, CHAR 500 and related foreign tax forms for all entities.
- Develop and maintain a current annual management self-assessment (MSA) for tax reporting; ensure that all processes and procedures relating to tax preparation are current.
- Develop and maintain content for tax section of the Controller’s web site.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Participate in 40 hours of training/professional development annually.
BS degree in accounting or related field required; MBA or MS in a related discipline with a professional certification (CPA, CMA, or CIA) preferred. 3 years’ related accounting experience or equivalent combination of education and related experienced required with preference given to applicants with experience in accounting and financial reporting in a higher education setting. Experience with Oracle financial applications or another enterprise system and strong PC computer skills including MS Suite of tools, required. Tax reporting experience in a not-for-profit setting strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
Strong analytical financial reporting skills are critical to the success of this position. Must have demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects, effectively prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication and presentations skills are essential. Must possess high integrity, demonstrated aptitude and desire to work as a member of a team and a proven record of being proactive in the performance of all job related functions.